Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scott asked me to get him these toed shoes. I told him that they are ugly. He said "clogs" are ugly. I guess it's all perspective, right? (Crocks are even uglier.)

Scott asked me to run with him. I decided to give it a try.  First day
warm up walking
1/4 mile run huffing and puffing (but no chest pain)
1/4 walk recovering

1/4 run h-ing & p-ing
1/4 walk recovering

1/8 run. 1/8 walk- 1/8 run. 1/8 walk
1/8 run. 1/8 walk- 1/8 run. 1/8 walk
did this to total a mile run/ a mile walk/ total 2 miles.
walk to cool down.

Note-when I say run, I mean something like a shuffle that barely resembles moving forward. During our activity Scott observed that some people run, but they walk when the onlookers go by. In my case, I was glad for the passer-bys to pass by during the walking part. It's really that bad. My thighs feel like I am picking up 2 tons with each step. They barely lift. I knew I looked silly.

Scott really wants me to do this every day with him this week just to see how we feel at the end of the trial.

That was Sunday. On Monday I was sore up to my shoulders! Shoulders! I thought I did stronglifts and yoga. I wouldn't think my entire body would hurt. Running is a lower body sport-guess I was wrong. As flat as Florida is, our course has a little tilt to it. A tilt that is very noticeable to an unfit person. I suppose that's my excuse for sore shoulders--trying to hold my torso up.

Sunday was the first day, Monday after work/gym we did it again. Again on Tuesday after work/yoga. Again on Wednesday before work and gym. BTW on Wed my highest sets Deadlift 160 1 set x 5 reps. and Overhead pressed 60 1x5.

On Thursday (today) was the day Scott dragged me to get his Vibram 5 fingers.  As you guessed, those green things are MINE!

We did
1/4 run -1/4 walk
1/4 run -1/4 walk
1/4 run -1/4 walk
1/4 run -1/4 walk
1/4 run -1/4 walk

Some improvement!!

It was like running in lightweight slippers! My thighs didn't feel so heavy. My strides were a tiny bit longer. Scott and I noticed I was running faster. I wasn't huffing and puffing and today I wasn't sore like the earlier days. Perhaps my ankles or feet will be sore tomorrow. I felt like my foot muscles gripped more and had to stabilize me.

I didn't schedule a marathon or Mud Warrior Race or Komen Cure run or anything like that.

That's it. A boring post. Just a trial of running or shuffling/ whatever you want to call it.



3 comments:

  1. My oldest got those shoes too, in yellow and gray. I was shocked he wore them since he has sensory issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those yours? I loved reading about your running trials and progress!
    Someday I am going to get some of those shoes.. they are supposed to be great for running and alignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are mine. Scott got a TREK style with kangaroo leather uppers. His is a perfect T3. I might have to get his for me.

    ReplyDelete

Share it