Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Questions from SL Readers...

I posted this Question to Strong Lifts forum...
After 25 weeks on SL I do not like that I can't fit in my pants ( I promise you it's not from muscle! Never had a 6 pack and no chance of one soon.). I was strong from benching and machines for a year before I started SL and leaner (as lean as I possible for me in my adult years). I thought this would be an ultimate program for me, enjoying a simple (but challenging) routine and do-able in three sessions ins per week and FINALLY firming up. To do SL with max effort, you have to eat. But I gain weight. The good news is I don't have aches and pains that creep up at 45 yo. I like the principles of SL and the combination moves. I don't like how I look chubbier.  I have given it everything I have gotten. Is it time for me to move on?

These are some Q's they asked me for more info...


What do you do for Cardio? 
As far as cardio and variety (besides Strong Lifts).  Over the past 12 weeks, I have swam in pool and ocean, bike &spin, kayak, row, walk, scooter, jump rope, paddle board, yoga. Sometimes more intense and sometimes more recreational with my boys.


What is a typical daily menu?
Maintaining weight has never come easy, but I was successful for about three years before SL. A comfortable daily diet for me is a green smoothie (greensmoothiegirl.com). A large vegan salad with nuts and sprouts. Thai peanut dressing is my favorite (SPLURGE) dressing (please don't ruin it for me and tell me what the ingredients are!!!). I could maintain my weight with nut mylks like hemp and almond milk sometimes adding raw carob and cacao, bananas and other superfoods and/or, essence oils to it. This nut mylk treat curbs my appetite for processed sweets and carbs. And dinner which is my more flexible meal. I definitely was not prepared for Strong Lifts to increase my appetite the way it did. I ate a lot more. I did see gains in my strength at the gym. I am going to try to maintain with less weight on the bar and go back to this daily eating pattern. 

What are your Sources of Protein? 
This is a question that comes often.

Nuts: ( I get them raw and prepare them my way) almonds, cashew, sesame, coconut, walnuts, pecans, sunflower, and others, hemp, and flax.

Beans: Lentils are my favorite because I don't have to soak them. I have dehydrated refried beans. Split peas that don't have to be soaked. I soak my garbanzo beans and make hummus. I like when my MIL soaks the black beans and 15 bean soup... I just don't always get to it.


Avocado is a good source of protein as is spinach and kale... and quinoa.


Some of my grains are sprouted: barley, rice, lentils, sunflower seeds and almonds making them extra nutritious with live enzymes.


Milk: I don't drink cows milk anymore. Almost all the nuts I listed can be used to make "mylk" and protein shakes and smoothies.


I am not an exclusive vegan (and I don't insist anyone else has to be). I sparingly eat some chicken, turkey, fish, local eggs (soon to have my own chicken eggs). I can't always resist my mother and MIL's cooking, so I am not so strict around them. Fortunately they want to make healthy meals. I want my husband to compromise at home. So I am going to plan a seafood dinnner or other special meal out with him at least once a month.

(readers--> can you think of other protein sources I left out?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget