Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wardrobe Make-over

This past August most everything in my closet was too big on me and I had a few occasions to be dressed up to look forward too. I always dressed plain and practical as a mother of three boys. It has to be easy to wash. I like modest at the office, (skirts below the knees, sensible neck line, 3/4 sleeves. Also sleeves because its often cold in the office). I am able to wear any color, but it's style that hard to deal with when you are over-weight. So I ended up with mostly baggy tents. Being overweight made it impossible for me to find descent things. A lot of "fashion" clothes IMO is sleazy and not sensible for the office.

I went shopping with my mother who has much more fashion sense then me. Quite by accident the shopping, started when I tried on two simple yoga skirts on Sport Authority. One gray, one black. Simple lines. The right length.  Nothing bulky. When I looked in the mirror I couldn't believe it was me and that I actually fit in something! My mom was taken back also with my delight. Recently I hadn't been shopping with her. She's too skinny. I did need to find suitable blouses to wear with the skirts. We headed off to Steinmart to find co-ordinating tops.
My mother could be a personal shopper. She pulled so much off the racks and quickly for me to try on. She knows how to make coupons work. It's the first time in a long time, I liked how I looked in almost everything. What we liked the most for the office, was still in my modest comfort zone, but with more layers (vests) and embellishments (studs and beads), a hint of animal skin in the background (note the vest and the skirt below), but not  bold animal print. I picked up a few pants. For home I like to be comfortable and sleeveless. I am fine with tanks, shorts and, pants at home, the gym, and when I am with John. I picked out a few fashionable tanks that looked like more than gym clothes or yard clothes.

She also picked out wedge heels for me! At my heaviest I couldn't even fit in a woman's shoe and was buying flat sandals and men shoes at Dillards. I wore men's sandals for about 3-4 years.  I was almost nervous to report to work with such a shift. I am loving it. I feel so much more confident. Getting a new wardrobe as you trim down and tone up is a big deal. Getting used to yourself isn't always easy.

Not to long after my wardrobe make-over, my blog mentors Green Smoothie Girl and Trish both had Dress your Truth make-overs.  The DYT program is about identifying your energy style and subsequently knowing what kind of clothes suit you. I've actually done personality profiling long before and could spot what I am and what I am not in fashion languague. I am not soft and subtle (2) and I am not pretty girlie (1). In college I called type 1's sorority girls. I could never wear bows and ruffles. That leaves me a (3) professional or (4) bold. My disclaimer is that with all due respect, I've not done the DYT course yet, but my friends' post and make-overs came at such a time I could identify so much. IMO opinion I lean towards a 3, but could make 4 work for me as well. I can wear pastels as an accessory piece with the other clothing professional or  bold. I do look forward to learning more about DYT in time.

My mother had even gone through my closet when we got home and paired up shirts, belts, vests, in ways I didn't think would work. Without her knowing these types (she has never heard of DYT), she is more of a fashion expert than me. With all this information, I am able to make the clothes in my closet work for me now. But also now I am seeing how a busy print can be toned down with a solid vest, for example.

My friends' make-overs included hair and make-up and more. At that time I had let all my bleach blond highlights grow out to the straggly light brown natural color. Now, I have a few very soft highlights in the front. I like the more natural look with just a few highlights. I am not planning to go back to all over highlights.  I go to an experienced hair stylist and have always had an expert opinion on my hair if I kept it up.

I don't wear (much) make-up. I struggle with being all natural vs the make-up thing. I would like to go for a make-over some where to at least know the options for making my skin tones even, maybe a little neutral blush, eye shadow, and gloss. I know I would never wear more than those. I haven't had time to look into it. I know if someone puts eyeliner and mascara on me, I would hate it. I hate black streaks under my eyes all day. That holds me back from a learning about any make-over because I have a feeling once you start, you can't stop.

I hardly wear jewelry. Mostly it breaks, so I keep it simple. (only a star-of- David necklace, and I haven't changed my small earrings in 100 years, sometimes I don't wear earring's.) Big necklaces like suggested to my friends would be in my way. I don't have scarves-- in my way and too hot. We bought some big belts and stylish neck lines. As I am writing this, I am thinking about getting one of my Grandmother's rings fixed. Whoo hooo. Maybe I'll even get another star-of david necklace so I have options.

I have always tended to get solid brown and solid black skirts or shirts if I found one I liked and then it would be practical if I ever found a print to wear with it.  That line of thinking still seems sensible and true to my style as long as there is one prominent other color. I am always cold at the office and I have always told myself I want more sweaters.  Now I have another reason, is that layers suit me!   The photo above is what I wore to the office today. I was cold. I would like a 3/4 sleeve fitted T for under the vest. (Now I have muscles, I am kind of modest about my tremendous arms. ) That's my gray yoga skirt. This below picture is the day my mother helped me in my closet. Old skirt with knew cowl neck. Previously I was wearing the skirt with a solid black top with a shine to it. Much better now. I have an outer sweater for that, and the belt goes well with both outfits. I love it and wore it earlier this week.

9 comments:

  1. That skirt is an awesome one for you! I am excited for you to move forward and learn with the Dressing your Truth course! I know you will emerge clearly as a Rich, Dynamic woman and have all the tools and know-how to be super, freakin' HOT!
    The black is more of a Type 4 option, and I think if you had an expresso colored top and shoes with that skirt it would be perfect! As a fellow Type 3 gal, I also thought I could just figure things out for myself for a long time! Carol called that out of me (and all T3s) on one of her blog videos once and I had to give in and get the course!
    Now I just love my new found clarity and purpose! Thanks for doing this post, you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest "hot" is probably not an adjective, I would want to describe myself (not now, nor is it a goal). I'd prefer to look strong, healthy, natural, and when in the office-- professional. I noticed she called Robyn the green smoothie hottie instead of girl. It kind of turned me off initially and made me want to continue to do it on my own. Your make-over was a better reflection (and made me take a second look) of DYT than Robyn's. I could not imagine how much more they could do for her. For years she's been about as healthy and strong and beautiful as anyone can be. After Robyn's make-over I was a little confused about all the perm, color, hairspray vs detoxifiying, and over accessorizing. Robyn explained how she would fit what she learned into what is comfortable for her. I like how Robyn clarified that. The hair-dos Robyn's stylist wore reminded me to be very choosy about who touches my very fragile and thin hair.

    Yes, like other DYT Type 3's, I like to do it myself, and as you said on your blog, I agree Type 3 can be impulsive. I have had this profile done several years ago and have had a lot of time to work on balancing my energy with others, to speak. My profile was done in relation to work. Our energy is not the same in all circumstances. In some places I am very comfortable being a listener and dissapearing to the back of the crowd unnoticed (like when looking for volunteers at synagogue!).


    The profiling we did in the office was under unfortunate circumstances and none of us got the true help we needed from the company. I had to reach deep down inside myself and be honest and "interpret it myself." I do like how DYT interprets these results in terms of style and inner energy. it leaves a much more positive picture than what I was left with. With Robyn, I didn't catch on that they did personality profiling, but finally with you, I noticed how comprehensive it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look really, really, good! Just beautiful! I think I need your Mom to take me shopping! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,
    Thank you for your nice comments about my sense of style and help that I was able to offer you. And you are HOT!!

    Are you ready for another "shopping trip"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, you look AMAZING!! You are a SUPERWOMAN of a mama, doctor and you ARE changing lives! Love reading your blogs, and we will need to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish, I got another skirt to wear with the skirt. I can't wait to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are looking great!! I love following you are your family online! Don't always comment as three grand kids and mom keep me busy!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget