Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rawnola

I gave up making granola years ago. It burnt in the oven at a low temperature before I could get it dry. The kids didn't eat it either. I assumed since I did not add sugar to the granola, I was not going to get anything satisfactory. At the time it wasn't worth pursuing anymore. Sometimes (ok- often) I would settle for some store bought, but higher quality sweetened granola. The task of making my own raw granola seemed daunting to get all the ingredients and soak and dehydrate.

Recently, I mastered making my own mylks and thought how nice to have a cereal to go with it.

Then more recently, I picked up Rawnola at the Farmer's Market in Fernandina beach by Blue Planet in St. Augustine. It tasted better than any store bought. Now that I have been soaking and dehydrating nuts and seeds for over 2 years the task didn't seem to overwhelming. I am pretty much stocked up on what I would need. I thought if they could make this, I could!

Their ingredients:

spouted almonds ( I already had soaked and dehydrated)
walnuts ( I already had soaked and dehydrated)
sunflower seeds ( I already had soaked and dehydrated)
pumkin - could get from Publix and soak, but I never did
oats- not sure if these are truly raw, I used Red Bob's this time. I have pressed the grain through the mill with Danette, but didn 't have immediate access to the grain mill this time.
coconut flakes- I have the organic flakes from GSG annual group buy
apricots- did  not have
golden raisins - have dark raisins
agave-  I have raw vanilla agave
safflower oil- I don't know where to get this oil. I used coconut oil. I placed my jar in warm water and liquified.
Cinnamon -have

I took a look at the Granola Recipe I have from GSG to get more ideas

oat grouts
wheat germ-- didn't use
shredded coconut
ground flax seed
sesame seed
1 1/2 cup combination nuts- walnuts, pecans, cashews, and/or almonds
Cinnamon

For liquid GSG used warmed honey, molasses, water, coconut oil, and optional vanilla or maple flavoring

So I finally used

8 cups oat groats
1 1/2, plus cup combination nuts- walnuts, and almonds
1cup flax
1 cup sesame
1 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds
cinnamon

In my BlendTec, I pureed 1 cup coconut oil and vanilla agave
I mixed it with dry ingredients until coated and put it all in my dehydrator for days and days :) at a low setting. I added raisins to the final mixture before storing in my refrigerator in ziplock bags. I like adding fresh blue berries or bananas when I am serving.

I could have used sprouted buckwheat and I am sure there are other nuts and dried fruit you can incorporate. Gogi berries would be an excellent choice. I may be hardcore to  many of my readers in transition, but some of the real long term hard core raw foodist may have issues with this not being technically all raw  getting caught up in the oats, raisins, sesame seeds, but pleeeeze, chill.

I do think this type of recipe is one you grow into as you become accustomed to storing nuts. It would be very labor intensive just to decide to do it as your first raw project. But I finally reached a place where this is what I do.

I usually do start my day with a green smoothie, so keep in mind if this is your breakfast, don't forget to get your greens in. A handful of nuts, even if they are activated, does not replace your greens!

4 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds so good! Thanks for sharing I can't wait to try it! I am printing the recipe right now! Also great tips about the green smoothies I'm going to try those too! I think I have gone almost 2 weeks now without one and I'm feeling it! Thanks again!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise! Don't know if you would know the answer to this but I am trying to make my own raw protein bars. I was going to put oats in them, should I soak them first, and if so , for how long? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't need to soak the oats.
    Could you tell me your name? :) Thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's Bobbi:) LOL! Thanks for all your help! Ive been stalking your blog;)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget