Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fresh Basil Pesto

I like making fresh pesto. I just don't like adding cheese to it. I also found a cilantro pesto recipe without cheese (brazil nuts, pumkin seeds and cashews), but it seems I never have access to the nuts they suggest. It's worth making because it's delicious.

With my basil growing like weeds in my containers, I decided to take a chance. I soaked raw sunflower seeds and raw almonds. Soaking activated them and helped soften them for the creaminess. I loved it and want to do it again.

2 cups fresh basil with stems ( I am too lazy to pull leaves off.)
3 garlic cloves
1 lime
Olive oil. Mine happend to be Organic. About 1/2-3/4 cup.
Soaked sunflower seeds
Soaked almonds
pine nuts -Should have measured or paid closer attention to the amount of nuts I used. Probably about 3/4    
     cup total of all nuts
3/4 teaspoon Sunfire Sea Salt

Put it all in blender and adjust to taste. It's tasty and you would never miss the cheese.

This was a great dip for carrots and celery. I brought it out on the boat with me and stayed raw while out all day. Some other things I brought with me were greem smoothie (1/2 greens were spinach, other 1/2 was fresh- meaning, I picked it myself- chard, fresh purslane, fresh stalk of aloe, vitamineral greens, banana and mango), clemintines, grapes, activated almonds, water (of course), and chocolate bliss which I never go to.

I stayed raw when I got home with salads and fruits and veggies and the bliss. Snce  I had a VERY relaxed previous week, I really  needed a good day to make sure I stay on track.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sounds good! I've been wanting to try a pesto without the cheese! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget