Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

In the garden, gym, kitchen...

Some other things going on in the garden: We have an established avocado tree that gave us 2 large Florida Avocados (whoowhoo-2!!). They are sitting on my counter to ripen. They will probably be ready tomorrow night .  I sure am so curious to taste them. John and I planted two younger avocado tress, but they did not make it. My bananas did not produce much at all either. It was a cold, dry winter. I harvested the small bunch today. Our irrigation and water was off while we remodeled.  The plants weren't nurtured  like they should. Hopefully we'll have more next year. Basil, Cuban oregano, chives, sage, rosemary, and chocolate mint are doing well. And mostly by accident.  I don't have huge amounts of any, but enough to season with. I am glad they like to grow without much attention. Minimal care is my favorite way. I also have a big bunch of lemon grass doing well and we brew tea often. BTW- people ask me all the time what I drink and this tea is one of the things I drink that I probably haven't mentioned before. Much better than sweetened drinks from the store.

Some of the things we are eating: Scott and David are troopers. I've been putting mangoes in my green smoothies. For them I made frozen banana, mango smoothie with sprouted almond mylk (which I made with dates). Their frosty comes out icy and a pretty soft-orange color.  I put the left overs in a Popsicle mold for later which they told me was good. These frozen treats will probably never be two alike as I vary the amounts of fruit and mylk or just water depending on what's available. Ever read the labels on store purchased ice pops. It is scarier. Personally, I think much worse than ice cream in most cases.

At the gym: I am working on 45 x45. I benched 135 twice last night. I am way ahead of my goal. That's with the 35 pound plate on each side of a 45 pound bar. I need an updated gym photo. I am glad mom is coming to visit this weekend. She's a great photographer in the gym.

In my kitchen: If I don't cook, why is my kitchen always a mess. Today was pick up day for our organic produce. This is what we got. And it's been a long time since I've told you what I did or plan on tell you what I did with my bounty.

Baby Bok Choy
Broccoli Chinese style food I found this basic recipe works well for many vegetables including carrots onions added to the mix. I have varied the seasoning in the sauce.
Carrots
Rainbow Chard - perfect for wraps
Cucumber
Red Lettuce
Cremini Mushrooms -hide them in blender recipes, might put a few in with the broccoli
Yellow Onions
Yukon Potatoes
Roma Tomatoes
Bananas
Cantaloupe
Red Seedless Grapes - boys and John ate these up.
Golden Kiwi - only 4. I will be selfish. They are all mine.
Black Plums

Fruit Share: Honeydew, Bartlett Pears, Yellow peaches.

I use to be really good at posting each share and how I used it up on my permissiontomother blog. I see lots of salads and fruits for snacking.

3 comments:

  1. Your mom is a good photographer....not just in the gym, love the photo of your dock that you use on your blog. It makes me want to come back and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now you know all the good stuff I have to eat, so you can be on your way... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. How cool to pick fruit from your yard.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget