Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Super Simple Sprouting

There are many seeds and nuts that can be sprouted and eaten. Sprouting activates the seed or nut and awakens the the dormant enzymes which gives the seed the full potential to become a plant. For us, this means the seed has full nutrient potential. Sprouting is simply soaking the seed in water a couple of hours to activate it. Most of us eating cooked, dead food are deficient in the enzymes obtained from sprouting. I've tried sprouting several varieties of seeds. For now, I prefer, seeds that activate in a short time.

The few seeds and nuts I've had great success with is:

Raw sunflower seeds-- I soak raw sunflower seeds 6-8 hours in filtered water. At this point you get the nutritional benefit and can eat them or use them in recipes. Often, I do rinse them well and put the seeds in my dehydrator  (<115 degrees)and make them nice and crispy. The dry very quickly.  I store them in a glass jar. My favorite way to use them is on salads.

Raw almonds-- soaked 8-12 hours in filtered water and they are activate. Sometimes I use them as is. Sometimes I put them in my dehydrator to make them crispy and they go on to other recipes. Crispy, sprouted almonds makes a nice trail mix with spouted sunflower seeds and raisins.

Lentils are also activated after 8-12 hours. There are several varieties of lentils you can use to make colorful batches. My favorite use is to add them to a salad with sunflower seeds. If I soak mung and adzuki beans, the mixture is even more colorful and makes a beautiful salad topping. The latter two seeds, need a little more soaking time to get soft.

With soaking times under 12 hours, nothing gets moldy or nasty. I do like to rinse often. Actually I cover the above seeds with water for a few hours before rinsing and draining. You will not see a "sprout" or "tail" with such short soaking times. But the seed is still activated.

I've sprouted alfalfa and clover, but prefer the short soaker fore ease. I've never done any sprouting with soil trays. I haven't had much luck with quinoa sprouts, but I keep trying.

Addendum Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Protein Powder is sprouted brown rice. I don't have to do any soaking! I have been adding it to some of my smoothies. PLUS, there is no soy or whey based proteins in it.

12 comments:

  1. I am really inspired by how simple this is sounding! ;) I really love Alfalfa and brocolli sprouts but right now I don't have much time to invest into preparing them. (or so I think) You know I vaguely remember you mentioning the soil trays to me in the past?.... for some reason I don't think I ever followed through and looked into that o.0 ...hmmm You have given me lot's of great ideas! (thankyou) Once I research it further I will let you know how that comes along if it sounds reasonably easy maybe I could squeeze that into my "to do" list. I am really hopefull I can do this then again If you can do this with your hectic schedule than surely I can too♥ (right?)
    I have to ask you though how tough are the beans once they have been soaked? I know you said that after so many hours the enzymes are activated but what about the texture? Thanks for sharing your find for your protien powder I am particularly impressed with the fact it is Soy and Whey free... I will be heading to NS later on today and I will try and make certain to grab some because these days fast nutritious meals are pretty much all I desire.
    Once again Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou :)
    ♥appreciation is an understatement♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lentils, adzuki, and mung are all soft after soaking. Lentils soften the fastest.

    The sunflower seeds and almonds are crispy ater soak and dehydration.

    I have never sprouted in soil.

    I find smoothies and blender treats the quickest way to prepare healthy meals.

    I'm glad these posts are helpful. There are many more with far more expeertise than me in this Raw arena. Keeping this blog keeps my head focused on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will attach myself to your awesome links and learn a thing or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise... I sprouted a little too many lentils and I was wondering the best way to store them and how long do they keep? BTW they are super fast and easy breezy! I ate them last night with a delish organic salad and again today! Luvin it♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. They seem to multiply fast! I forgot to say just use a small amount like a tablespoon of lentils for starting out. The reason I made the chilli was because I actually made too many.

    Put them in the fridge. They last a while. You don't have to rinse them everyday, but you'll find your preference on how often to rinse and how long you like their tails to be.

    I don't care for them when the tails are more than a 1/2 inch.

    Did you use lentils from the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh no... I used organic french green lentils from Nutrition Smart and red lentils by Bob's Red Mill I think I got those from there as well or maybe I did get them from the grocery store(Publix).... They were really pretty mixed together. What kind do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My current stash is from breadbeckers.com. I do a quarterly grain order through a co-op.

    I am just interested where everyone else gets lentils and how it turns out. I think they all work. It's just a curiousity-thing. Not a warning or disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you get a better price and selection ordering through this co-op? I LOVE to make Indian food so lentils is a staple in my household menu.. I am going to check out the site you mentioned. And yeah I agree I also think all lentils would work too it's just a matter of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the quality. I haven't shopped for lentils at NS, so I don't know about current price. I really like having the one gallon containers and not running out and having to go back and forth for more. There is always an easy meal if I have lentils.
    At breadbeckers I get 6 gallons of somethings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.. That is quite a stash! Six Gallons.. How big did you build your pantry! ;0) I went to the site and now I want a grain mill (again)...I had forgotten about my desire to grind my own grains to make my own breads but now the beast is awake again ((muwahhaaaa)They have about a gazillion other really cool things I would like to have! Thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of storing up on grains. My family can handle 6 gallons of sunflower seeds, brown rice, popcorn kernals, and dog food. Most of my other containers are a gallon. Maybe a photo would be helpful? The pantry is not the hugest, but I do have good closet space and shelving was adjusted to what I was going to put in to the closet.

    I've not had much success with making bread. I don't keep much around flour here.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget