Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Sprouted Raw Chili

I came up with an interesting lunch today. I got this idea from Eating without Heating by Sergei and Vayla Boutenko and followed their basic recipe with my subtle and improved substitutions.

I happen to sprout way too many lentils, adzuki, and mung for my salads. I like them with under 3 days old and knew on my own I couldn't finish them. Disguising them in this recipe for my family was a perfect solution.

In the Blendtech (since I got my 96 ounce container I use it--and fill it--nearly every time)...

1 cup water
Fresh tomatoes ( I did not have/use 1/2 sun-dried tomato as in recipe )
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup grapeola oil
handful mushrooms (they suggested dehydrated mushrooms)
center of a celery and leaves that may have otherwise been wasted
Sunfire salt (instead of Bragg's)
2 plus TBSP of fiesta mole (instead of spaghetti seasoning)
squeezed lemon
Rita's Hot Pepper (can't think of what kind Rita gave me from her garden, it's been sitting drying for a while now)
3 cloves garlic
Basil from my containers

Blended and poured over a bowl of spouts. Served with dry parsley that recipe suggested and I had available. If I had cilantro, I would have liked that even better.

The amazing thing about this recipe, is that I've been wanting to come up with a Raw tomato based sauce. Now I have this and the tomato soup, I posted about before. I have a pretty good feel for how this versatile soup/sauce comes out and a pretty good idea how to improvise depending on what I have on hand. This could have easily been soup on its own had I not had spouts. In fact I tried to keep some liquid hidden for me to slurp on later, but John asked for more liquid.

John said it was better than expected (he liked the pepper in it). He licked his bowl literally. Still,  I know he was dreaming about a hunk of pepperoni to it.
Scott and David did ok with it. Scott said he'd of liked more liquid, too.
William wouldn't touch it.
4/5 ain't bad.

I am going to serve the little bit that's left over some more veggies tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Ok.. I've been wanting to comment on this post for days (finally getting around to it)
    This dish looks so good! I wanted to ask how sprouting is going for you? Do you have any recc on doing it correctly? I tried my hand at it a while back and didn't do so well and I really want to pursue it again. Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget