Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

July Raw Update

I am asked if I am feeling better with the supplements. In all fairness it's not fair to ask me if I feel better about anything before an exam (which is on on Monday). I was hoping I wouldn't go into pre-test panic mode, but I am anyway. My days have been solid. I've been hauling my kids to camp involving 6 days of the week for the past month. Scott (and David) continue their evening participation in karate after camp. Scott is maintaining his other studies. I keep a hectic schedule. Perhaps that's an indication that keeping honest with my nutrition and exercise is allowing me to manage the craziness in my life.

I have been faithfully taking the vitamins and supplements I told myself (B's and glutathione) I would. I am maintaining a simple high raw diet. I don't have time for lots of prepping and new ideas right now. I mostly make salads and blend things. David, this past week, decided he liked Raw Kale Toss; cucumber, onion, dill in O & V; beans &  rice (not raw) mixed with bok choy, cilantro, raisins, apple (raw). Pretty impressive for a 6 year old! Gives you an idea what I've been eating, too. Scott is totally on board with eating health food. He eats other things, too, becoming more selective on his own,  but I don't have to fight with him to eat the good stuff.

We've been eating lots of mangoes from our tree. I got golden kiwi from co-op and enjoy them throughout the day. I cut the kiwi in half and scoop the halves with a spoon. I've got corn chips in my dehydrator now (Trish, I shucked the corn right off the cob).

I've made a variety of tomato soups (below) depending on what herbs and seasonings I have. I've been drinking chocolate bliss. Last time I took a test, I brought along green smoothies. I don't like how they travel overnight, so this test time, I will make and travel with the bliss to keep me hydrated, along with nuts and fruit.

John has lost about 30 pounds since January.  He has been a good sport about drinking the chocolate bliss and other hemp drinks I serve him.

William ask me to make pasta alfredo. Just to make something quick and easy last night, I made up the butter, heavy whipping cream, parmesan, cream cheese an served it to them over pasta. They said it tasted  good. I reminded them just because *I* made it, didn't mean it was healthy. ((How they wish I could make healthy, tasty alfredo sauce.)) Scott didn't finish his. The rest were all sick. Score. Next time they may think twice about asking for this kind of sauce. While I am not perfect in eating, I didn't take one bite of this, not even to taste it while cooking it.

Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers often ask me about green smoothies and high raw diets. Totally compatible. Of course the more anyone can incorporate fresh fruits, veggies, and sprouts, into their diet the better. Just don't deprive if you don't know where to start. Two woman on my blog roll are bf and high (if not totally) raw and document frequently on their blogs. I suppose technically I am still nurturing at the breast too.

I am looking forward to posting more after the exam, providing hyper links,  and responding to some of the questions I've been asked in the comments.
Than you for following and patiently waiting for an update.

 

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on your exam! And I sent our your package two days ago. I'll email you the tracking number when I finish writing this comment! Much love!
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Trish, In the meantime if anyone asks about the bliss (or something else similar) in my comments or fb feel free to jump in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds great. Glad you are managing all your activities and still have energy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denice have you tried this recipe? http://simplehealthytasty.blogspot.com/2008/04/fettuccine-alfredo.html

    My family loves it! If your kids don't think it's as good as the "regular" alfredo you could grate a little parmesan on top for more cheesy flavor. It would for sure be healthier. Got to love those healthified comfort foods. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tam, My kids grate permasan over your mac and cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget