Join me as a try to feed my family lots of Raw and Superfood. I like to write about the edible garden, exercise, and learning to love my natural expression. I am a Family Practice Physician and believe there are alternatives approaches to feeling your best.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why a new blog?

I've been toying with the idea of creating a food-- exercise journal sort of blog. If I can't post daily on Permission to Mother, I rationalized that I don't have time for another blog.

Why Raw? I started my sugar-free elimination over 2 1/2 years ago. I lost weight while depriving myself of commercial foods without sugar, but did not feel that I was being nourished. In search of sugar-free breakfasts I found out about green smoothies which changed my life. I found green smoothies filling and satisfying and began to appreciate how important every bite of food is to our health. As my energy and well-being improved I realized we have more control over our health than as consumers we are lead to believe. The search for the most nourishing foods always seems to take me back to Raw. I read on the Internet how people are eating high raw and exclusively raw (often all vegan) diets. I am fascinated. That means no preservatives, no additives, no casein, no gluten, no white flour, no refined sugars or meat. Amazing. Whatever dietary restrictions you are challenged, looking into Raw options will expand, not eliminate your choices.

All Raw is not easy. At this point on my journey I often have a smoothie and/or fresh citrus juice to start my day. I have huge salads and marinades for a second meal. I have Raw treats around the house to snack on. I am very comfortable incorporating these lifestyle meal choices. The third meal often is partly Raw (and partly not so great) and is where I am challenged (well, there are other challenges, too, but special circumstances, not daily). For a few weeks in January the third meal was all Raw (except spice and seasonings, perhaps). I felt great. I want to maintain what I am doing and organize my Raw resources. I am motivated by not only how I feel, by but by how easy it has been to get under 180 pounds. Even with sugar-free, I could not get past 180. Now I am at 170 since January, not to mention I gained some holiday weight and was above 180 that too came off easily in the past two months. Doing what I am doing, I am certain, I will see 165 soon. A few years ago and 50 pounds more ago, I wouldn't of bothered making that a goal. I thought there was no chance of seeing 165 ever again. Really my goal is optimal nutrition and fitness and not to focus on my weight (or calories) so much, although I am delighted to see the weight fall off and most readers "new" to eating helathy can identify with weight loss.

Now that I am in a new house on the River, with a new kitchen, fruit trees, veggie garden, gym membership, I decided to start my Journal, Raw on the River, to focus on me, keeping me at my goals, while Permission to Mother continues to focus on my kids and attachment parenting.

2 comments:

  1. Just found this blog. I so want to take the raw leap. But I am starting with smoothies. I also eat at least one salad a day.

    Today I had:
    broccli, potatoes, & cheese for lunch (cooked)

    cooked broccli, and fresh salad for dinner

    I also am drinking lots more water.

    It is a start.

    Love the new blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies is a GREAT start and the most important step. The second step is adding a big salad to your day. Looks like your on your way. Give your self a lot of time to get use to doing those two things. You'll be way a head of everyone else without doing another thing.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget